packing household goods

How-To Series: Importing Personal Effects and Household Goods

If you’re moving to the United States of America and want to bring all of your stuff with you, then this article is meant for you.

The good news is that, apart from a couple of restrictions, you are able to bring your Household Goods and Personal Effects into the US Duty Free!  As long as you follow the rules and submit correctly completed forms, the only thing you will have to worry with is getting over your jet lag.Movers

These are the documents you will need to submit to US Customs:

  • CBP Form 3299 Supplemental Declaration
  • Copy of your arriving airline boarding pass (recommended)
  • Copy of your passport (required)
  • Copy of your residency permit (if you need one)
  • Copy of the Cargo BL (Ocean Bill of Lading) or AWB (Airway Bill)
  • Copy of Packing List (with descriptions, values and country of origin)

Also, don’t forget the ISF (Importer Security Filing) for all ocean freight shipments.

Remember, ACM Logistics & Consulting Inc specializes in helping new importers make sense of all this.  Give us a call or send us an email and we’ll be happy to assist.

Oh, and welcome to the USA!  Or for all you Ex Pats, welcome home!


welcome mat